More denture wearers are switching to cosmetic dentures for their improved fit, function and appearance. Just like natural teeth, cosmetic dentures need to be cleaned regularly.
Whether you have implant-secured, All-on-4 cosmetic dentures, or cosmetic dentures with a traditional fit, it is important to practice excellent home care to maintain your oral health.
Caring for your cosmetic dentures
It doesn’t take a lot to keep your cosmetic dentures clean, but there are some basic tips to keep them in tip-top shape:
- Rinse dentures after eating. Keep food from lodging in your dentures by removing them and running warm water over them after you finish a meal.
- Brush your dentures daily. Remove and clean your dentures daily with a soft-bristled denture brush and nonabrasive denture cleanser. Gently brush to loosen bacteria, food and plaque, then rinse. Don’t use toothpaste on dentures since it can scratch the surface. Brushing also works well while you are on the road or away from home.
- Brush your natural teeth. Even if dentures are doing most of the work, brush your natural teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Make sure to clean off any remaining denture adhesive from your gums and the dentures themselves.
- Submerge your dentures at night. Well cared for dentures can last up to 10 years. The key is to keep them submerged in lukewarm, mild, soapy water when not in use. This prevents acrylic dentures from drying out and losing their shape. Don’t use hot water which can damage them. Although some people like to sleep with their dentures, removing dentures at night is good for your oral health. This also gives your jaw joints, bone and gums time to relax.
About cosmetic denture cleansers
One of the best ways to keep cosmetic dentures clean is to use a deep-cleaning solution to soak off food deposits and bacteria. There are many commercial brands available and some other solutions that may surprise you.
- Store-bought effervescent denture cleaning products such as Polydent, Fixodent and Efferdent are made to clean and whiten dentures and kill bacteria.
- Alka Seltzer gets your dentures sparkly clean. Simply add a tablet to a glass of warm water and within ten minutes, your dentures will look good as new.
- Vinegar is a natural cleanser. To clean dentures, combine equal parts of white distilled vinegar and warm water and let your dentures soak for at least 30 minutes or overnight. · iSonic Ultrasonic provides incomparable results when cleaning crevices in dentures that are hard to get by hand. Just leave dentures in the iSonic for 15 minutes and the ultrasound waves do all the work.
Remember: after you have brushed or soaked your cosmetic dentures, rinse them before putting them back in your mouth.
Whether you have All-on-4’s or precision-fit cosmetic dentures, your continued good dental health is Dr. Frahm’s specialty. The first step is to maintain a good cleaning regimen to ensure your dentures last longer and to keep your smile full and bright for years to come. Also, don’t forget to schedule regular dental checkups. This helps your cosmetic dentures fit properly and prevents discomfort. Check-ups also prevent infections and abscesses and maintain bone and gum health over the long term.
Whatever your dental need, contact Dr. Frahm today at 831-372-8011. Our office is conveniently located at 660 Camino Aguajito #201 in Monterey, CA 93940.